Spa Care; Winterizing your spa
copyright 2003, thorugh 2013 HavenMade Inc
Winterizing Your Spa
This weeks newsletter is an answer to an email letter sent in by one of our readers about shutting downn the spa in winter and winterizing your spa. If you want to send in a question I will answer all email.
What brand and model of spa is it that you own. I have
In order to winterize a spa, I use the following
1. Open the equipment compartment and remove all the drain plugs on the
pump keep them handy. Open the unions on the heater and the pump(s). On the pumps with the
low out put side, just remove the unions to allow it to drain. (The side discharge would be on the bottom of the pump, not the top.)
2. If your spa has a blower (air pump) on it, I recommend that you run it for
about 3 to five minutes, then vacuum all the water out of the vessel. If you can't run the equipment with no water in the tub, then you will need to hook power to the blower directly. You can run the blower by powering it directly with an extension cord and electrical adapters. The simplest is a set of 1/4 male spade connectors inside the control box directly on the blower receptacle connectors. A 240V blower will run for this purpose on 120V and not be harmed.
3. Then, using a powerful shop vac, (2hp or more works best) place the
vacuum hose over each of the pipe fittings in the equipment area and draw out as much water as
possible. Let it run for 5 to 10 minutes. You will stop hearing water pulses after a while. Use duct tape to seal the vacuum to the pipes.
4. You can reverse the air flow and blow out the
At any time the water goes into the tub vessel, vacuum it out.
5. Place the plastic straight nozzle on vacuum at one
6. Move from jet to jet with all the other jets in the
7. Return to the equipment compartment an place the
9. Spray off the filter as you would normally do then
I don't like to clean a spa that has had antifreeze in
I always ask people this. Why are you not using the
If you have an in-ground spa, it must be winterized
I hope this helps you!
the DAIT brochure in PDF format.